FINKBINER, FRANK L. (T. 50; F.52) Southern Illinois; Southern California-Arizona 55 Fullerton: Orangethorpe; 60 (Sept.) Oxnard: St. Paul's; 66 Reseda; Pacific and Southwest 77; 81 Arcadia: Church of the Good Shepherd; California-Pacific 85; 91 Retired
Dr. Frank Leo Finkbiner was born in rural Palestine, IL, on July 29, 1928. He was raised on the family farm and attended elementary and high schools in Hutsonville, IL.
In 1948 he married Carrie Jean Brimberry who survives him. Also surviving are two sons, Ron who is a United Methodist Pastor, Kyle, a daughter Lynn, four grandchildren, three sisters, one brother and several nieces and nephews.
Frank Received a B.A. degree from McKendree College in 1950. In 1953 he received a B.D. degree from Perkins School of Theology. He then decided to attend the University of Southern California for graduate work and after two years, transferred to Claremont School of Theology and graduated with a Th.D. degree in 1960.
He served eight years on the Board of Missions, two terms on the Council on Finance and Administration, and was president of the Methodist Hospital Board in Arcadia, CA. He was elected as a delegate to both the General and Jurisdictional Conferences.
Frank was a mission minded minister with a vision. He saw things that needed to be started or completed and he always found ways to get them accomplished. He took a 49-day mission tour around the world in 1963 and after seeing the refugee camps and the tremendous poverty, he developed mission programs in the churches that he served. The Medical Mission in Tatoxcac, Mexico is supported by members of the Church of the Good Shepherd of Arcadia, CA. Each year, members of the church travel to the mission to perform surgeries and transport supplies and equipment. The United Methodist Mandarin Congregation of Arcadia was created at the Church of the Good Shepherd and plays a vital role in that church's ministry.
Frank was also a builder. The Orangethorpe Methodist Church was established in Fullerton, CA in 1955 where during Frank's pastorate, he administered the building of a chapel, educational unit, and fellowship hall. One thousand members joined before his appointment to Oxnard, CA. At St. Paul's UMC Oxnard, CA under Frank's guidance, a modern architectural sanctuary was built. The members of this congregation also raised funds to build a church in Haragowen, India which Frank dedicated in 1963. At First UMC Reseda, CA a house was transported from the building site of the 118 Freeway to be developed into a lovely parsonage in 1971. In 1991, after 41 years of full service ministry, Frank and Carrie Finkbiner retired to the area of their birth places to build their "dream home", assisted by their two sons.
Even in retirement, Frank continued his ministry preaching in many area churches including United Methodist, Baptist, Christian, and Presbyterian. He developed and taught courses in Religion, Logic, and Philosophy for three years at the local Lincoln Trail College. He also authored a Lectionary Series to assist local ministers with liturgical and sermon preparation.
Frank Finkbiner left his family with a legacy of love, a passion to care for others, and a hope for a better world for all people. He is missed!