Orangethorpe United Methodist Church:
OUMC was founded in 1955. Its first worship services were held in a barn in the middle of a sweet potato patch. A lot has happened since then. This year we're celebrating our 60th anniversary! We'll publish here some of the pictures, stories and reminiscences of those years.
Here's what's available so far:
- Our First Fifty Years — In 2005, we published a 56-page booklet to celebrate our 50th anniversary. Author and editor Jeanne Lindsay has given us permission to make the history available at this web site.
- History of the Orangethorpe United Methodist Church, a 1970 history by Tom Harvill.
- Our pastors — A chronological list of the ministers who have served our church.
- Our new tower, built in 2011-2012.
- Rev. Bob Rohdenburg served as OUMC pastor for eight years. Bob's passing on March 6, 2010 was a great loss to the United Methodist Church and to his many friends.
- Read Bob's obituary, which appeared in the Orange County Register.
- Read OCCCO's tribute to Bob. (At OCCCO's 25th anniversary celebration, May 15, 2010, Bob was granted, posthumously, a Community Beacon Award by OCCCO.)
- The story of the beginning of OUMC's participation in Hot Meal Ministry in 1993.
- An e-mail about HMM, eight years later.
- Orangethorpe Learning Center was founded in 1995 by members of this church. Please visit OLC's own history site.
- Opening day of Orangethorpe Learning Center in 1995.
We will add to this collection of stories from our long, proud and interesting history. Please visit often to see what's new.
OUMC Home Page