Orangethorpe United Methodist Church:
Lay Members' Page
Here are the literary contributions of various lay members and friends of OUMC, as well as articles about them. We kicked off this page in November 2010 with the inspirational articles of Fern McCallum and the poetry of Beth Robinson. We challenge other OUMCers to submit their creative contributions, whether they be descriptions of their faith journey, or commentaries on the everyday life of our church. Poetry, photos and art work are welcome. And of course, it goes without saying that whatever you see here reflects the beliefs and the opinions of the person who provided it.
- From time to time, lay people are given the privilege and responsibility of delivering the message on Sunday. These are some examples of such messages:
- Nov 2016 – Gifts & Giving — What's In Your Wallet?, by Donna Daniels
- May 2016 – Los talentos que Dios nos dio, por María Mendivil
- May 2016 – What Does God Want From Me, by Donna Daniels
- May 2016 – Pentecost, Today! – por su websirviente — Pentecostés, ¡Hoy!
- August 2015 – My Story, by Ernesto Mendivil
- March 2015 – Experiencing God, 3 testimonies
- October 2014 – Who IS Your Brother or Sister?, by Sharyl Lewis
- June 2014 – Fathers and Doors, by Sharyl Lewis
- April 2014 – Where Do We Go From Here?, by your webservant
- January 2014 – Wise Men Still Seek Him, by your webservant
- October 2013 – Getting a Head in Community. By Donna Daniels
- September 2013 – "The most perplexing of Jesus' parables", by your webservant
- May 2013 – What is Pentecost All About, Anyway?, by your webservant
- December 2012 – What Are Your Plans for the New Year?, by Sharyl Lewis
- September 2012 – Being the Hands and Feet of Christ, by Sharyl Lewis
- July 2012 – "One Nation Under God", by Sharyl Lewis
- June 2012 – Running the Race, by Donna Daniels
- May 2012 – "What's On Your Bucket List?", by Sharyl Lewis
- April 2012 – "Feed My Sheep", by your webservant
- October 2011 – Some Spiritual Flashbacks, by Richard Shea
- October 2011 – Today God Is First, by Sharyl Lewis
- October 1995 – "For to such belongs the kingdom of God", by your webservant. This was a message which I found in my endless computer archives. Some of the references to people or events may be dated, but you might enjoy reading it anyway.
Fern McCallum started attending our church in about 2009. She was a very welcome addition to our congregation, and was a regular volunteer for a while at Orangethorpe Learning Center, where the kids loved her. Fern went home to be with the Lord in March 2015. Here are her contributions:
Soon after joining our church, Beth Robinson (seen to the right with her boss) joined our choir, where her strong alto voice makes a big difference. We discovered she was also a poet when she wrote and sang lyrics to Sibelius' Finlandia for Christmas 2009. These are her lyrics for various songs:
- A Christmas Wish, which was presented by the OUMC choir at Christmas in 2010, set to music by our own accompanist Vern Nelson.
- In Bethlehem Within a Stable Lowly, which she sang at Christmas in 2009.
- Palace of the King, another poem set to Vern's music, which the choir presented in worship, March 27, 2011.
- Another poem which is to be sung to Finlandia — Psalm XXIII
- Celebrating Valentine's Day 2011, Beth sent us a little collection of poems, plus one essay, which we know you'll love to read — Valentine's Day
- And to celebrate Father's Day — A Love for the Ages
- In honor of Christmas, Beth wrote:
- Beth was kind enough to turn over to us a volume of her prose and poetry entitled Aunt Beth's Attic, from which we're adding samples to this collection from time to time:
- The Good Samaritan
- Moses Remembers
- The Older Brother
- Up a Tree
- Thoughts from the Pit
- The Shepherd and the Giant
- Adam's Complaint
- Carved in Stone
- In 2016, inspired by a challenging experience, Beth wrote The Choice.
Almost as soon as Manny Ferrer came to work at OUMC as our Office Manager / Secretary, we discovered that he had a lot of literary talent. These are articles by Manny which originally appeared in our monthly newsletter which we're also making available here at our lay members' page:
Besides occasionally delivering a Sunday morning message, Sharyl Lewis is involved in several ministries. Here's what she has to say about two which are very important to her:
Here's an article which Joseph LaRoche posted to Facebook after his encounter with prostate cancer:
Here is the story of Ike Berch's World War II service:
Although Patricia Liu isn't an OUMC member, during the last several years she has spent more time at our church than most members do, while tutoring the children of Orangethorpe Learning Center.
Your webservant will add a few contributions of his own from time to time. I make no claim that they match Beth's or Fern's works in literary quality, or Ike's or Patricia's for real life drama, but they reflected whatever was on my mind and heart at a particular moment...
Your name goes here. Please submit your own writings!