Orangethorpe United Methodist Church:
Latest News — October 18, 2019
This is an informal collection of recent news items about people and events in the life of our church. Your contributions are always welcome.
- October 2019. Who's celebrating a birthday this month? Please visit our birthdays page.
- October 2019. Agape Café has been serving breakfast for people in need for the past seven years on Sunday mornings. Becky Barnes has been a faithful leader in the ministry and we thank her for her commitment and her labor of love. Unfortunately, at the end of October 2019 we will no longer offer this ministry to our community. We thank all the people who have been a part of Agape Café.
- Octubre 2019. Agape Café ha estado sirviendo desayunos a personas necesitadas por los últimos siete anos, todos los domingos por la mañana. Becky Barnes ha sido una líder fiel a este ministerial y queremos expresar nuestro agradecimiento por su compromiso y su servicio a este ministerio. Infortunadamente a finales de octubre del 2019 no vamos a poder ofrecer este servicio a la comunidad. Le damos gracias a todas las personas que han sido parte de Agape Café.
- October 6. We welcome a new accompanist at our service, Kate Bode. We understand that our previous accompanists, Anneke Thompson and Dave Boyer, will now serve at our Spanish language services. Speaking of which...
- October 6. We resume worship services en español this morning. Si usted desea participar, venga cada domingo a las 10:30 para la inspiración de alabanza y mensajes en español.
- October 5. We distribute groceries to more of our neighbor families — 117 — than have received food in a long time. Thank you to all our hard-working helpers who make this ministry possible!
- September 8. Our former accompanist, Alice Song, rejoins us at this morning's service, playing piano and singing beautifully. It's so good to have you back, Alice!
- September 7. We distribute groceries to 101 neighborhood families today in our parking lot, on a very bright, sunny day. We are helped greatly by the enthusiastic, hard-working families from Cub Pack 1294, and by our very hard-working pastor, Rev. Rey Guevara.
- August 18. The Guevara family is back! Pastor Rey preaches at our worship service today. Check out the dozens of photos he has posted on his Facebook page of what looks like a beautiful vacation.
- August 4. Pastor Rey and his family fly away at midnight tonight to Rey's native country — El Salvador. We all pray for a wonderful vacation time, including family visits, and their safe return.
- July 28. We are treated to another wonderful sermon by Pastor Michael Hilgen:
"World Religions" — Man's attempt to find God vs. God's attempt to save mankind
Watch for some of Michael's messages to appear on our pastors page.
- July 13. Today, Lois Stoughton is celebrating her 90th birthday and is joined by several dozen of her family members and OUMC brothers and sisters in our Fellowship Hall for this happy event.
- July 7. Pastor Rey preaches his first sermon to us:
God Is Doing a New Thing
Dios está haciendo algo nuevo
We meet Pastor Rey's beautiful family — his wife Kellie and his daughters Cristal and Raquel — at this morning's service. Welcome to our churchfamily!
- July 6. Our new pastor, and our Cub Scouts, join us to distribute food from the Second Harvest Food Bank to 105 neighborhood families.
- July 1. A new pastor, Rev. Reynaldo "Rey" Guevara, arrives to begin his service at OUMC.
Welcome / ¡Bienvenido!
- June 30. At this morning's service, we bid a fond, but sad, goodbye to the beautiful Song named Alice who has been our accompanist for the past four years. We'll miss you, Alice!
- June 15. This morning, we top the record set earlier this month when 117 neighbors show up to receive food. We thank all the wonderful volunteers who helped things go smoothly.
- June 14. Today, we learn that we have lost a dear lady who was a part of our church family for many years — Annabelle Staines Biscailuz, who passed away at age 94 in Brady, Texas.
- June 14. We will soon be welcoming a new pastor, Rev. Reynaldo Guevara. Read his biography, in English! ¡Lea su biografía, en español!
- June 9. We are saddened to learn, at this morning's service, that our accompanist Alice Song is leaving us at the end of this month. We'll miss you, Alice!
- June 9. We are pleasantly surprised, and thankful, to see three ladies return to our midst after overcoming some serious health problems:
- Lorri Goldman,
- Marilyn Haverstock, and
- Joanne Mikovec
- June 1. This morning, we distribute food to more people than on any Saturday in the past 18 months — 115 families. We thank the many wonderful volunteers from Cub Pack 1294 and St. Jude Medical Center who help us make the distribution go smoothly.
- We need your prayers for:
- Janice Fowler's brother David, who had knee surgery, and has lots of complications with his kidneys and heart, and,
- Manny Ferrer, whose wife Ellen passed away April 22nd, after a 2 year and 7 months battle with lymphoma cancer.
The news, in print. A number of copies of an up-to-date printed version of this web page are placed on the table in the narthex nearly every Sunday for the benefit of those persons who do not access the internet regularly. When you come to church, please pick up a copy for your own use, or to share with your friends. We urge you, however, to visit the OUMC web site regularly, to get the full benefit of the information which is available there for you.