Orangethorpe United Methodist Church:
Latest News — June 14, 2019
This is an informal collection of recent news items about people and events in the life of our church. Your contributions are always welcome.
- June 2019. Who's celebrating a birthday this month? Please visit our birthdays page.
- June 2019. Who's graduating this year? Please visit our 2019 graduates page.
- June 14. We will soon be welcoming a new pastor, Rev. Reynaldo Guevara. Read his biography, in English! ¡Lea su biografía, en español!
- June 9. We are saddened to learn, at this morning's service, that our accompanist Alice Song is leaving us at the end of this month. We'll miss you, Alice!
- June 9. We are pleasantly surprised, and thankful, to see three ladies return to our midst after overcoming some serious health problems:
- Lorri Goldman,
- Marilyn Haverstock, and
- Joanne Mikovec
- June 1. This morning, we distribute food to more people than on any Saturday in the past 18 months — 115 families. We thank the many wonderful volunteers from Cub Pack 1294 and St. Jude Medical Center who help us make the distribution go smoothly.
- We need your prayers for:
- Janice Fowler's brother David, who had knee surgery, and has lots of complications with his kidneys and heart, and,
- Manny Ferrer, whose wife Ellen passed away April 22nd, after a 2 year and 7 months battle with lymphoma cancer.
- May 26. Your webservant must miss attending church today because of some worrisome symptoms. When he goes to the local Kaiser hospital, they decide to keep him overnight, and, the next day, perform a colonoscopy which seems to correct these problems. He returns home to recuperate.
- May 12. We wish a very happy Mother's Day to all our moms, grandmas, and great-grandmas!
- May 5. With our accompanist, Alice Song, under the weather, we celebrate an a capella worship service. We hope you get well soon, Alice!
- April 28. We rejoice to learn that sister Marilyn Haverstock is recovering well from the major surgery she had Friday.
- April 27. Our Fellowship Hall is full to capacity for the wonderful occasion of Sharyl Lewis' 75th birthday. Most of our present OUMC members are present, and so are many former OUMCers whom we haven't seen in years. The "birthday girl" is quite healthy and enthusiastic, having recovered from her open heart surgery of a few months ago. She even helps to prepare a great dinner and to plan and organize this joyous event. You can help Sharyl celebrate by donating to Water for the World through our church. Read all about it!
- April 21. We celebrate the Resurrection with a beautiful Easter service, followed by an incredible luncheon prepared and served by members of OUMC's Latino congregation.
- April 20. The Second Harvest warehouse is closed for Easter weekend, but that dosn't deter us from distributing food today to 56 neighborhood families inside our Fellowship Hall. We obtained a "dry drop" delivery Wednesday and, with the help of some wonderful, enthusiastic St. Jude Medical Center employees, the reparto goes quite smoothly today. Our Coordinator, Nedda Soriano, is under the weather and may soon have surgery, but her predecessor, Roberto Navarro, is available to take charge, and sees that all goes well.
- April 14. Today is Palm Sunday, and we are treated to an inspiring Sunday morning message from:
Rev. Anthony Boger, Associate Director of New Ministries at Cal-Pac Annual Conference.
We've heard from Anthony, and his late brother, Rev. Don Boger, several times in the past, and we feel that this was a great beginning for Holy Week.
- March 17. Happy St. Patrick's Day! Quite a few OUMCers come to church this morning "wearing the Green"!
- March 16. We could easily repeat our February 16 news item to describe this morning's food distribution. On another "beautiful sunny day", we distribute food once again to 95 neighborhood families, but this time from our parking lot, where a truck full of groceries from the Second Harvest Food Bank arrives by 8:30 a.m. With the help of an enthusiastic group of volunteers from St. Jude's Food Services Department, all goes well!
- March 10. The young men of Cub Pack 1294, plus their parents and other family members, join us at our Sunday morning service. We are pleasantly surprised to discover that the sanctuary audio-visual equipment is working once again.
- During the first days of March, we learn that two very dear friends have just passed away...
Edna Olney, who was like an aunt to many of us. She will be missed very much for her beautiful spirit, and her words of wisdom, common sense, love and support. Please keep her daughters, Carolyn Olney, and Linda Wilshire and family, in your prayers. Edna's memorial service will be Saturday, March 30th, at 10:00 a.m., in Redlands.
Lyle Sorensen, who served our church with enthusiasm for many years, departed to rejoin his wife Mary, who passed away four months ago. Please keep Lyle and Mary's children, Amy Rivas and Ian Sorensen, in your prayers.
- March 2. This Saturday is a very cold and rainy day, just like a month ago. We're fortunate to be able to distribute Second Harvest groceries inside the Fellowship Hall again. We're also fortunate that there's a very large and enthusiastic group of volunteers from Cub Pack 1294 with us to pass out the food to our neighbors. The number of neighbors is slightly greater that it was on February 2nd, with "only" 61 families receiving food this time.
The news, in print. A number of copies of an up-to-date printed version of this web page are placed on the table in the narthex nearly every Sunday for the benefit of those persons who do not access the internet regularly. When you come to church, please pick up a copy for your own use, or to share with your friends. We urge you, however, to visit the OUMC web site regularly, to get the full benefit of the information which is available there for you.