Orangethorpe United Methodist Church:
Latest News — November 13, 2018
This is an informal collection of recent news items about people and events in the life of our church. Your contributions are always welcome.
- November 2018. Who's celebrating a birthday this month? Please visit our birthdays page.
- November 11. Cub Pack 1294 joins us yet again, leading the flag salute at our Sunday morning worship service, as we celebrate Veterans Day.
- November 4. Parson John and his family are vacationing in Big Bear. This morning's worship is led by our gifted musicians, Alice Song and Nate Brown.
- November 3. This morning, we distribute food from the Second Harvest Food Bank to 106 neighbor families, and we are assisted by no less that fifty-five (55) members of our own Cub Pack 1294, and their parents. We are amazed at how well everything goes, as the food is passed out with great compassion and enthusiasm by our volunteers. See the pictures which which Patricia Liu took today!
- October 28. We receive and baptise new members today in a very unique and special bilingual service. A font is installed in our sanctuary for the baptism by immersion of those who wish to be so baptised, and Parson John dresses in a special black baptismal robe for the occasion. Once again the title of his sermon is Baptism for Life!. Six-year-old Melody has asked to be baptised, and the following persons also are baptised, or renew their vows:
- William, and,
- October 21. Back among us at today's service are Joe Manson, who moved away a few months ago, and Wolf Tolson, who has been in and out of the hospital while undergoing chemotherapy. We've missed both of you!
- October 20. Once again, we distribute food to our neighbors in need. See the photos which two of our volunteers snapped this morning!
- October 14. While listening to the evening news, we learn that our sisters and brothers at St. Andrew United Methodist Church, in Panama City, Florida, were right in the path of Hurricane Michael, and that their church building was badly damaged. However, outdoor services were held today and they are doing a wonderful job of helping their neighbors, who were affected by the hurricane, including providing food to hurricane victims. Let us pray for this church and for all those people in the Southeast who have been affected by hurricanes.
- October 14. This morning, Parson John treats us to another inspiring message — Baptism for Life! — in which we are reminded of Noah and the Ark:
- October 9. Thank you, Kendall McFarland, for making available an internship application for those persons who may wish to get more involved in the work of the United Methodist Church. Fill it out for yourself, or show to a friend!
- September 23. After spending his summer in Hollywood, working on TV shows, Stephawn Spears is back at OUMC today, attending our Sunday worship service, then teaching a Sunday school class. We hope we'll see Stephawn again from time to time during his final year of graduate studies at Chapman University.
- September 16. Parson John is back in the pulpit today, delivering a spirit-filled message entitled "Holy Spirit Overview" in which he tells of such symbols of the Holy Spirit as:
- Wind, and,
- September 15. We have yet another wonderful food distribution experience this morning, when a young lady named Mika celebrates her 15th birthday by inviting her friends to help her pass out groceries to the needy people of our neighborhood. See the photos!
- September 12. Hermanos Marcelo y Nedda Soriano depart for Perú, where they will remain until late October. Pray for a happy journey, as they visit their families there, and for a safe return.
- September 9. This Sunday, our guest preacher is Rev. William Jeynes. Bill, who is accompanied by his wife Hyelee, delivers a message entitled:
Effectiveness Under Stress:
We urge you to read the scripture which was the basis of Bill's sermon, II Chronicles 32:1-23, to visit Bill's own web site,
God's Love Ministries,
and to know that although there are moments in our lives which really test us, God is there to help us!
- September 9. This morning, we are pleasantly surprised to see an article on the front page of the L. A. Times OC Edition about the Nicavangelists, who visited our church last month. Be sure to read it. ¡Viva los Nicavangelistas!
- September 2. Parson John is away, at the Cal-Pac Annual Conference's Family Camp, so we are treated to a fine sermon this morning by Al and Janice Fowler's son-in-law, Rev. Michael Hilgen (to the right).
It's wonderful to see sister Margaret Padrick back in church today, following her recovery from hip surgery.
The news, in print. A number of copies of an up-to-date printed version of this web page are placed on the table in the narthex nearly every Sunday for the benefit of those persons who do not access the internet regularly. When you come to church, please pick up a copy for your own use, or to share with your friends. We urge you, however, to visit the OUMC web site regularly, to get the full benefit of the information which is available there for you.