Orangethorpe United Methodist Church:
Latest News — September 21, 2018
This is an informal collection of recent news items about people and events in the life of our church. Your contributions are always welcome.
- September 2018. Who's celebrating a birthday this month? Please visit our birthdays page.
- September 16. Parson John is back in the pulpit today, delivering a spirit-filled message entitled "Holy Spirit Overview" in which he tells of such symbols of the Holy Spirit as:
- Wind, and,
- September 15. We have yet another wonderful food distribution experience this morning, when a young lady named Mika celebrates her 15th birthday by inviting her friends to help her pass out groceries to the needy people of our neighborhood. See the photos!
- September 12. Hermanos Marcelo y Nedda Soriano depart for Perú, where they will remain until late October. Pray for a happy journey, as they visit their families there, and for a safe return.
- September 9. This Sunday, our guest preacher is Rev. William Jeynes. Bill, who is accompanied by his wife Hyelee, delivers a message entitled:
Effectiveness Under Stress:
We urge you to read the scripture which was the basis of Bill's sermon, II Chronicles 32:1-23, to visit Bill's own web site,
God's Love Ministries,
and to know that although there are moments in our lives which really test us, God is there to help us!
- September 9. This morning, we are pleasantly surprised to see an article on the front page of the L. A. Times OC Edition about the Nicavangelists, who visited our church last month. Be sure to read it. ¡Viva los Nicavangelistas!
- September 2. Parson John is away, at the Cal-Pac Annual Conference's Family Camp, so we are treated to a fine sermon this morning by Al and Janice Fowler's son-in-law, Rev. Michael Hilgen (to the right).
It's wonderful to see sister Margaret Padrick back in church today, following her recovery from hip surgery.
- September 1. Since this is Labor Day weekend, the Second Harvest warehouse is closed. Normally, there wouldn't be any delivery of food to our parking lot, but we distribute fresh fruits and vegetables to our neighbors inside our Fellowship Hall after obtaining a "dry drop" yesterday. 90 families receive food and we have no lack of helpers. Some of our friends from Parks Junior High are back. Beth Robinson is back! One of our next-door neighbors, William Sultzer, volunteers, and Nurse Sarah Carey from Children's Hospital of Orange County, comes with one of her colleagues, Mental Health Assistant Hannah Máximo, to help. That's Hannah and Sarah on the left, in front of a big crate full of watermelons. We thank all of our hard-working volunteers for helping make this distribution a success.
- August 26. We are provided an acrobatic, bilingual worship experience by The Nicavangelists. See the photos which Rusty Powell took this morning!
- August 20. It's "opening day" at Orangethorpe Learning Center, and six students show up for help with their homework. We have room for lots more kids, so be sure to tell any little grade-school neighbors who might need help to come on in!
- August 19. Parson John is back in the pulpit after a brief vacation and is in fine form, preaching about "Our Helper: The Spirit of Truth".
- August 18. When we distribute groceries from Second Harvest this morning to our neighbors, we are pleasantly surprised when a large group of volunteers arrives from the St. Jude Plaza Outpatient Surgery Center, led by Kathy Campos, RN. There are also several student volunteers from Parks Junior High, led by St. Jude Pharmacy employee Jenny Chung, who was one of the St. Jude volunteers in March and who was so well-impressed with this ministry that she returned, along with her student friends. A big thank-you to these, and other, volunteers who help make our food distribution ministry possible! Kathy sent us some photos from this morning, which we've added to the OUMC photo album. Check 'em out!
- August 12. This morning, we welcome Rev. Dr. James Tai to our pulpit. Dr. Tai was the founder and National Director of the Chinese Campus Crusade for Christ (Taiwan) from 1962 to 1972. He was the Senior Pastor for New Life Christian Alliance Church from 1977 to 2002. He now is an adjunct professor of Biblical Studies at various Chinese seminaries in the United States.
- August 6. "This just in:" Kendall McFarland has accepted a position as a Labor and Delivery Registered Nurse in Fresno. She moves today, and will be living with family in the area. She is sorry and sad to be leaving the amazing community of Orangethorpe UMC. Kendall, your OUMC brothers and sisters congratulate you. We will miss you. We wish you sucess and happiness in your new work environment. We hope you will keep us up to date on your new career!
- August 1. Then Sings My Soul takes place tonight at the Fullerton Villa next door. Our accompanist Alice Song is back from her trip with her husband Nate Brown to the Czech Republic. And Parson John is back from a very brief rest, participating with as much enthusiasm as ever, along with a dozen or so Villa residents.
- August. You have probably noticed our Red Cross donation boxes in the North East corner of the parking lot. The Red Cross donates $100 a month for them to be there. Please consider putting your extra shoes and clothing there. Their donation femains the same if we give a little or a lot, but we do want them to feel good about having them here. Blessings!
The news, in print. A number of copies of an up-to-date printed version of this web page are placed on the table in the narthex nearly every Sunday for the benefit of those persons who do not access the internet regularly. When you come to church, please pick up a copy for your own use, or to share with your friends. We urge you, however, to visit the OUMC web site regularly, to get the full benefit of the information which is available there for you.